Itinerary - Cultural Heritage Tour
Day 1 Tour historic downtown and more!
- Arrive at the Visitor Information Center, located inside Frontier Texas!, to pick-up your downtown guide. (Free)
- Frontier Texas! Experience the big picture of the Texas frontier between 1780-1880.
- National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature: one-of-a-kind museum offers the best works of today’s premier children’s book illustrators.
- The Grace Museum: three museums (historic, fine arts and children’s).
- The Center for Contemporary Arts: four galleries featuring contemporary art, photography and sculpture.
- Paramount Theatre: self-guided tours of this grand theatre, restored to its 1930’s elegance.
- Candies by Vletas: tempting treats include chocolate covered strawberries, handmade chocolates and brittles.
- 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum: houses the Division’s Historical Collection and serves as a teaching museum for the study of World War II and its impact on the American people.
- Shop, Shop, Shop till you drop. Downtown offers unique specialty and antique stores.
- Dine at Cypress Street Station, located inside one of the many restored historic buildings in downtown, or at the Beehive Restaurant and Saloon, another fine dining establishment in historic downtown.
Load the motorcoach and proceed to one of the following:
- Wind Farms: Get up close and personal with these giant wind generators by touring one of the largest wind energy farms in the world.
- Abilene Zoo: the most attended attraction in Abilene!
Head to your accommodations.
Load the motorcoach for a tour of Buffalo Gap and dinner at a unique restaurant.
- The Taylor County History Center takes you back in time to the founding of the area. Special features are 21-artifact filled buildings from the founding of the area and gift shop.
- After your tour it's off to the Perini Ranch Steakhouse. Enjoy mesquite smoked steaks and chicken or fried catfish served with home cooked vegetables. Perini’s famous whiskey bread pudding rounds out your meal. Choose between dining in the rustic restaurant or outside under-the-stars. When you are ready, head back to the hotel!
Day 2 Western Flavor!
- Breakfast on your own.
- Load the motorcoach for a tour of James Leddy Boots. All boots are made by hand, to fit each individual personally. They are made for entertainers, as well as the working cowboys.
- Tour 5-D Custom Hats and Leather.
- Lunch at one of Abilene’s outstanding restaurants. Let the convention bureau make all the arrangements.
- After lunch, do something you missed on yesterday’s tour.
- Have dinner at the hotel or on your own.