- Posted On
- Local News
The Abilene Convention & Visitors Bureau office, 1101 N. First Street, is open for business. Stop by weekdays, 9 am to 5 pm for event planning help or visitor information.
Several Abilene attractions and venues are open with safety protocols:
- Overnight camping reservations are now available for spaces, shelters and yurts.
- The pool is open Tuesdays through Sundays. Reservations and day pass is required. $1 for children under 12 $2 for anyone 12 and up.
- Day-use reservations can be made online at www.texasstateparks.org or by calling 512-389-8900.
- Guests must wear masks while in common areas and maintain 6 feet from other guests.
- Follow the park's Facebook page for news.
Discover more than 1,000 animals of 250+ species among the walkable zoological gardens. Hand feed a giraffe or book a VIP tour and peek behind the scenes!
- Open daily, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Buy a ticket online to reserve a spot.
- Download a digital map.
- Stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, follow social distancing guidelines, wash hands, and have patience.
- Open: Watering Hole, Zoo Eats, Giraffe Feeding Experience, Gift Shop, Wildlife Carousel rides
- Closed: Reptile House, Safari Express Train, Kilimanjaro Mining Sluice, Swan Boat paddleboat rentals.
- Galleries are open for 75 guests.
- Temporary hours will be 11 am - 5 pm Tuesday - Friday.
- See new exhibits:
- West Texas Photographic Society's Group Exhibition in the Wright Photography Gallery
- The Center's Dirty Drawers Group Exhibit in Gallery 4
- Anthony Fuentez's solo exhibition A Reflection of Who I Have Become in Breed Gallery
Dyess Memorial Center and Dyess AFB Linear Air Park
- Dyess Memorial Center, north of the main gate at 800 Arnold Blvd, hours are weekdays, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- The public is invited to tour the artifacts and learn the WWII story of Albany-native William Edwin Dyess in the museum.
- Tour the Dyess Memorial Park outdoors to pay homage to Dyess heroes lost during service to their country.
- Guided tours of the Linear Air Park inside the air force base can be requested from 8 am to noon weekdays. (Escorted tours are currently suspended effective July 3. Check back for when they start up!)
- Stop at the museum 800 Arnold Blvd., and the museum curator will summon the Air Park Curator to help guests enter the base. (The staff arrives at 7:30 am.)
- Keep one open seat in your vehicle for the Air Park Curator to accompany guests for a guided tour.
- Facemasks are encouraged.
- Groups can be no larger than 5 adults.
- Enjoy seeing the largest static display of historic aircraft in the country.
- Follow social to stay up to date and learn more about Abilene's military heritage.
- Open to guests with modified hours:
- Tuesday -Friday: 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm, Saturday: 10 am to 5 pm
- The Museum’s art and history galleries will be open to guests.
- The following spaces will remain closed: 2nd floor Children's Museum, 2nd floor Rock-n-Roll Diner, 3rd floor Library, 3rd floor Education Classroom, 4th floor Administrative Offices.
- Effective July 1: Open daily, Mon.-Sat., 9 am. to 6 pm.; Sun., 1 to 5 pm.
- 25 percent capacity in the welcome theater and touch screens are sanitized between groups.
- Plan a road trip at the Texas Forts Trail Visitor Center: texasfortstrail.com
- Open Tues.-Sat., 10 am. to 5 pm. (Closed July 4)
- See the debut of newly renovated exhibits.
- 30 people are allowed in the museum.
- Masks are optional because people can spread out and avoid others easily.
- Social Distance, please, and wash hands.
- Find more Abilene military heritage here.
- Opens to guests Thursday, June 11, with an exciting new exhibit, "Encore," a retrospective show celebrating the artists from past Children's Art & Literacy Festivals.
- New hours are Tuesday-Saturday, noon to 4 pm
- 50 percent capacity.
- Family Fun Saturdays will resume at a future date, so watch for that fun day.
- Open to guests Tuesdays -Saturdays, 10 am to 5 pm, last entry at 4 pm.
- All historic buildings will be reopened for visitors Tuesday, June 9.
- Pick up a disposable map for directions.
- Purchase tickets at the general store window inside the main gate.
- Please arrive in groups no larger than 10 people.
- Enjoy a social rate: $5 for adults, $2 for children younger than 12.
Sup Abilene Kayak and Paddle Board Rentals at Fort Phantom Lake
9 Cherokee Circle, 5 miles from the Walmart on East Lake Road
Rentals open for the season Friday, May 22.
Call or text 325-269-1812 for info.
Abilene splash pads are open, allowing water play from dawn until dusk at five locations: Nelson Splash, Redbud Park Splash Pad. Scarborough Park Splash Pad, Arthur Sears Park Splash Pad, Stevenson Park Splash Pad. Explore them all.
The Town & Country Drive-In movie theatre is open Wednesdays through Sundays.
Primetime Family Entertainment Center is open, offering go-karts, miniature golf, bowling, and more.
Maxx Air Trampoline Park is now open. Check out their Ninja Course, SuperFly, Trampolines, Dodge Ball courts, and more!
The Skatin' Place is open, offering recreation along with snacks and air conditioning.
Play Faire Park Miniature Golf is open and hosting live music events.
Dodge Jones Youth Sports Center: The facility is hosting open gyms on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Hours may vary, so check the website.
The historic Paramount Theatre downtown plans to reopen Aug. 14.
Find live music and upcoming events: abilenevisitors.com/calendar
To update your existing event on our calendar please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To provide information on changes to your business hours please click the link below:
- 2020 Open Road Concert Series with Jackie Venson now will be Oct 22.
- Abilene Christian University Golden Reunion is rescheduled for April 21-23, 2021.
- See the calendar for complete event listings.
Other Useful Info
- H-E-B requiring masks at all locations effective July 1.
- Call 211 Texas Health and Human Services if you have any concerns regarding COVID-19
- Community Foundation of Abilene has set up the Support Abilene Fund to help Abilenians affected by COVID-19.
- If you developed see symptoms of COVID-19, please call your doctor’s office or Abilene Taylor-County Public Health District (325) 692-5600 first for further direction.
- Visit abilenevisitors.com/calendar for events updates. To update your existing event on our calendar, please email email@example.com
TagsCOVID-19, Re-Opening Abilene, Coronavirus, Local Takeout, Support Local, Outdoor Fun, Virtual Abilene, Lodging Deals, Tourism Industry Resources, Business Resources, Events
- 2019 (1)
- Abilene Champ (1)
- Abilene Welcomes (1)
- All About Abilene (2)
- AYSA (1)
- Business Resources (1)
- Champions Classic (1)
- Christmas (1)
- Concerts (2)
- Coronavirus (1)
- COVID-19 (1)
- Downtown Walking Tour (1)
- Events (9)
- Events Calendar (1)
- Events In Abilene (4)
- Fireworks (1)
- Football (1)
- Freedom Festival (1)
- General (1)
- Good News (1)
- Hospitality Training (1)
- July 4th (1)
- Live Music (2)
- Local Takeout (1)
- Lodging Deals (1)
- Music Friendly (2)
- Music Friendly Community (2)
- New Year'S (1)
- News (1)
- Outdoor Fun (1)
- Re-Opening Abilene (1)
- Readers Choice Awards (1)
- Scholarships (1)
- Sports (3)
- Storybook Capital (1)
- Support Local (1)
- Taylor County Expo Center (2)
- Tennis (2)
- The Texas Slam (1)
- Things To Do (1)
- Things To Do In Abilene (3)
- Tourism (5)
- Tourism Industry Resources (1)
- USTA (1)
- Virtual Abilene (1)