- Posted On
- Local News
Several Abilene attractions and venues are open with safety protocols in place:
Discover more than 1,000 animals of 250+ species among the walkable zoological gardens. Hand feed a giraffe or book a VIP tour and peek behind the scenes!
- Open daily, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Buy a ticket online to reserve a spot.
- Download a digital map.
- Stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, follow social distancing guidelines, wash hands, and have patience.
- Open: Watering Hole, Zoo Eats, Giraffe Feeding Experience, Gift Shop, Wildlife Carousel rides
- Closed: Reptile House, Safari Express Train, Kilimanjaro Mining Sluice, Swan Boat paddleboat rentals.
Dyess Memorial Center and Dyess AFB Linear Air Park
- Dyess Memorial Center, north of the main gate at 800 Arnold Blvd, hours are weekdays, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. Open Memorial Day.
- The public is invited to tour the artifacts and learn the WWII story of Albany-native William Edwin Dyess in the museum.
- Tour the Dyess Memorial Park outdoors to pay homage to Dyess heroes lost during service to their country.
- Guided tours of the Linear Air Park inside the air force base can be requested from 8 am to noon weekdays. Tours will not be available Memorial Day.
- Stop at the museum 800 Arnold Blvd., and the museum curator will summon the Air Park Curator to help guests enter the base. (The staff arrives at 7:30 am.)
- Keep one open seat in your vehicle for the Air Park Curator to accompany guests for a guided tour.
- Facemasks are encouraged.
- Groups can be no larger than 5 adults.
- Enjoy seeing the largest static display of historic aircraft in the country.
- Follow social to stay up to date and learn more about Abilene's military heritage.
- Opens to guests June 2 with modified hours:
- Tuesday -Friday: 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm, Saturday: 10 am to 5 pm
- The Museum’s art and history galleries will be open to guests.
- The following spaces will remain closed: 2nd floor Children's Museum, 2nd floor Rock-n-Roll Diner, 3rd floor Library, 3rd floor Education Classroom, 4th floor Administrative Offices.
- The Texas Forts Trail Visitor Center is open Monday-Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm.
- The interactive history exhibits remain closed.
- Plan a road trip: texasfortstrail.com
- Open Tues.-Sat., 10 am. to 5 pm.
- See the debut of newly renovated exhibits.
- 30 people are allowed in the museum.
- Masks are optional because people can spread out and avoid others easily.
- Social Distance, please, and wash hands.
- Find more Abilene military heritage here.
- Open to guests Monday, May 25.
- Building interiors and playgrounds are still closed, per State of Texas mandate.
- Pick up a disposable map for directions.
- Purchase tickets at the general store window inside the main gate.
- Please arrive in groups no larger than 10 people.
- Hours: 10 am to 5 pm, last entry at 4 pm.
- Enjoy a social rate: $5 for adults, $2 for children younger than 12.
Sup Abilene Kayak and Paddle Board Rentals at Fort Phantom Lake
- 9 Cherokee Circle, 5 miles from the Walmart on East Lake Road
- Rentals open for the season Friday, May 22.
- Call or text 325-269-1812 for info.
- Abilene splash pads are open, allowing water play from dawn until dusk at five locations: Nelson Splash, Redbud Park Splash Pad. Scarborough Park Splash Pad, Arthur Sears Park Splash Pad, Stevenson Park Splash Pad. Explore them all!
Primetime Family Entertainment Center is open, offering go-karts, miniature golf, bowling, and more.
The Skatin' Place is open with reduced hours, offering recreation along with snacks and air conditioning.
Play Faire Park Miniature Golf is open with reduced hours.
Get a day pass online to visit Abilene State Park for outdoor activities this weekend.
- Dodge Jones Youth Sports Center: The facility is open and summer events are coming back online.
The Town & Country Drive-In movie theatre is open Thursdays through Sundays.
Find live music and upcoming events: abilenevisitors.com/calendar
For the latest city mandates regarding group sizes and social distancing, see the City of Abilene’s COVID-19 page.
To update your existing event on our calendar please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To provide information on changes to your business hours please click the link below:
- Hardin Simmons, McMurry and Abilene Christian universities' graduations now will be August 8.
- The Chamber’s Chairman’s Showcase at Abilene Convention Center will be July 30.
- 2020 Open Road Concert Series with Jackie Venson now will be Oct 22.
- Abilene Philharmonic: Canadian Brass, Masterworks IV is now July 10.
- Abilene High School graduation is now July 17 at 8 pm.
- Cooper High School graduation is now July 18 at 8 pm.
- The Academy of Technology, Engineering, Math and Science graduation is now July 18 at 8:30 am.
- Buffalo Trail Day at the Taylor County History Center is rescheduled for July 18.
- Abilene Christian University Golden Reunion is rescheduled for April 21-23, 2021.
- 19th annual Big Country Athletic Hall of Fame banquet, has been rescheduled for Aug. 10.
- Mother and Son Dance at the Abilene Convention Center is now set for Aug. 8.
- See the calendar for complete event listings.
- May 30 Mulligan's Outdoor Bash
- June 6 Abilene Outdoor Adventures.
- See the calendar for a complete listing of postponed or canceled events.
- For all Abilene Christian University (ACU) events visit here.
Other Useful Info
- Call 211 Texas Health and Human Services if you have any concerns regarding COVID-19
- Community Foundation of Abilene has set up the Support Abilene Fund to help Abilenians affected by COVID-19.
- If you developed see symptoms of COVID-19, please call your doctor’s office or Abilene Taylor-County Public Health District (325) 692-5600 first for further direction.
- Visit abilenevisitors.com/calendar for events updates. To update your existing event on our calendar, please email email@example.com
TagsCOVID-19, Re-Opening Abilene, Coronavirus, Local Takeout, Support Local, Outdoor Fun, Virtual Abilene, Lodging Deals, Tourism Industry Resources, Business Resources, Events
- 2019 (1)
- Abilene Champ (1)
- Abilene Welcomes (1)
- All About Abilene (2)
- AYSA (1)
- Business Resources (1)
- Champions Classic (1)
- Christmas (1)
- Concerts (2)
- Coronavirus (1)
- COVID-19 (1)
- Downtown Walking Tour (1)
- Events (9)
- Events Calendar (1)
- Events In Abilene (4)
- Fireworks (1)
- Football (1)
- Freedom Festival (1)
- General (1)
- Good News (1)
- Hospitality Training (1)
- July 4th (1)
- Live Music (2)
- Local Takeout (1)
- Lodging Deals (1)
- Music Friendly (2)
- Music Friendly Community (2)
- New Year'S (1)
- News (1)
- Outdoor Fun (1)
- Re-Opening Abilene (1)
- Readers Choice Awards (1)
- Scholarships (1)
- Sports (3)
- Storybook Capital (1)
- Support Local (1)
- Taylor County Expo Center (2)
- Tennis (2)
- The Texas Slam (1)
- Things To Do (1)
- Things To Do In Abilene (3)
- Tourism (5)
- Tourism Industry Resources (1)
- USTA (1)
- Virtual Abilene (1)