- Posted On
- Local News
The Abilene Convention & Visitors Bureau office, 1101 N. First Street, is open for business. Stop by weekdays, 9 am to 5 pm for event planning help or visitor information.
Several Abilene attractions and venues are open with safety protocols:
- Overnight camping reservations are now available for spaces, shelters and yurts.
- Day-use reservations can be made online at www.texasstateparks.org or by calling 512-389-8900.
- Guests must wear masks while in common areas and maintain 6 feet from other guests.
- Follow the park's Facebook page for news.
Discover more than 1,000 animals of 250+ species among the walkable zoological gardens. Hand feed a giraffe or book a VIP tour and peek behind the scenes!
- Open daily, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Buy a ticket online to reserve a spot.
- Download a digital map.
- Please follow social distancing guidelines and stay a lion length away from other zoo visitors
- Open: Watering Hole, Zoo Eats, Giraffe Feeding Experience, Gift Shop, Carousel, Safari Express Train
- Closed: Reptile House, Swan Boats
- Galleries are open at reduced capacity.
- Temporary hours will be 11 am - 5 pm Tuesday - Friday.
Dyess Memorial Center and Dyess AFB Linear Air Park
- Dyess Memorial Center (a Heritage Museum for Dyess AFB), north of the main gate at Arnold Blvd. and Military Dr., hours are weekdays, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- The public is invited to tour the artifacts and learn the WWII story of Albany-native William Edwin Dyess in the museum.
- Tour the Dyess Memorial Park outdoors to pay homage to Dyess heroes lost during service to their country.
- Guided tours of the Linear Air Park inside the Air Force base can be requested from 8 am to 2 pm weekdays.
- Stop at the museum at Arnold Blvd. and Military Dr., and the Museum Curator will summon the Air Park Curator to help guests enter the base. (The staff arrives at 7:30 am.)
- It is suggested to call the Museum at 325-696-2099 to begin the initial process for the Guided Tour.
- Keep one open seat in your vehicle for the Air Park Curator to accompany guests for a guided tour.
- Facemasks are required.
- Groups can be no larger than 5 adults.
- Enjoy seeing the largest static display of historic aircraft in the country.
- Follow social to stay up to date and learn more about Abilene's military heritage.
- Open to visitors Saturdays 10 am to 5 pm through February 27th. Staff is available by phone 8:30am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
- Open daily, Mon.-Sat., 9 am. to 6 pm.; Sun., 1 to 5 pm.
- 75 percent capacity in the welcome theater and touch screens are sanitized between groups.
- Plan a road trip at the Texas Forts Trail Visitor Center: texasfortstrail.com
- Temporarily closed through Jan. 12. Will reopen to the public Jan. 13.
- See the debut of newly renovated exhibits.
- 75% capacity.
- Masks are optional because people can spread out and avoid others easily.
- Social Distance, please, and wash hands.
- Find more Abilene military heritage here.
Opens to guests Tuesday-Saturday, noon to 4 pm
75 percent capacity.
Family Fun Saturdays will resume at a future date, so watch for that fun day!
- Open to guests Tuesdays -Saturdays, 10 am to 5 pm, last entry at 4 pm.
- All historic buildings open for visitors.
- Pick up a disposable map for directions.
- Purchase tickets at the general store window inside the main gate.
- Please arrive in groups no larger than 10 people.
- Enjoy a social rate: $5 for adults, $2 for children younger than 12.
The Town & Country Drive-In movie theatre is open Wednesdays through Sundays.
Primetime Family Entertainment Center is open, offering go-karts, miniature golf, bowling, and more.
Maxx Air Trampoline Park is now open. Check out their Ninja Course, SuperFly, Trampolines, Dodge Ball courts, and more!
The Skatin' Place is open, offering recreation and a snack bar.
Play Faire Park Miniature Golf is open and hosting live music events.
Dodge Jones Youth Sports Center: The facility is hosting open gyms on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Hours may vary, so check the website.
The historic Paramount Theatre downtown is temporarily closed.
Find live music and upcoming events: abilenevisitors.com/calendar
To update your existing event on our calendar please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To provide information on changes to your business hours please click the link below:
- Abilene Christian University Golden Reunion is rescheduled for April 21-23, 2021.
- See the calendar for complete event listings.
Other Useful Info
- H-E-B requiring masks at all locations effective July 1.
- Call 211 Texas Health and Human Services if you have any concerns regarding COVID-19
- Community Foundation of Abilene has set up the Support Abilene Fund to help Abilenians affected by COVID-19.
- If you developed see symptoms of COVID-19, please call your doctor’s office or Abilene Taylor-County Public Health District (325) 692-5600 first for further direction.
- Visit abilenevisitors.com/calendar for events updates. To update your existing event on our calendar, please email email@example.com
TagsCOVID-19, Re-Opening Abilene, Coronavirus, Local Takeout, Support Local, Outdoor Fun, Virtual Abilene, Lodging Deals, Tourism Industry Resources, Business Resources, Events
- 2019 (1)
- Abilene Champ (1)
- Abilene Welcomes (1)
- All About Abilene (2)
- AYSA (1)
- Business Resources (1)
- Champions Classic (1)
- Christmas (1)
- Concerts (2)
- Coronavirus (1)
- COVID-19 (1)
- Downtown Walking Tour (1)
- Events (9)
- Events Calendar (1)
- Events In Abilene (4)
- Fireworks (1)
- Football (1)
- Freedom Festival (1)
- General (1)
- Good News (1)
- Hospitality Training (1)
- July 4th (1)
- Live Music (2)
- Local Takeout (1)
- Lodging Deals (1)
- Music Friendly (2)
- Music Friendly Community (2)
- New Year'S (1)
- News (1)
- Outdoor Fun (1)
- Re-Opening Abilene (1)
- Readers Choice Awards (1)
- Scholarships (1)
- Sports (3)
- Storybook Capital (1)
- Support Local (1)
- Taylor County Expo Center (2)
- Tennis (2)
- The Texas Slam (1)
- Things To Do (1)
- Things To Do In Abilene (3)
- Tourism (5)
- Tourism Industry Resources (1)
- USTA (1)
- Virtual Abilene (1)